Saturday, July 21, 2012

Eisley in St. Louis


On July12th, my husband and I jumped in the car to head to a dumpy little bar in Saint Louis to watch one of my favorite bands, Eisley.

What I love most about this group is their sound. It's a very whimsical, unique sound that you won't find in mainstream music. What's also unique about this group is a sort of Carter-family-esque appeal...yes, all of the musicians are related to each other. In fact, they're brother and sisters, with the bassist being the odd cousin out. Because the girls are sisters and singers, they have an incredible blend that is tough to match by other popular music groups out right now. It's incredible how much their albums sound just like their real sound. No boxes necessary. I adore that about them.

Most of their set consisted of songs from their third album, The Valley, sprinkled in with a few selections from their first album (Room Noises) and the new EP Deep Space. The third album is definitely my favorite album yet, so I was ecstatic to hear all of my favorite songs.


The only bad thing about the show was that part of the sound board started to cut in and out, which meant that there were times that you couldn't hear Sherri (far right) or Stacy (middle) singing at all. Not good when they are the lead singers. Like I said, the bar was definitely not in the best shape, so I imagine if the venue is patching the ceiling with plastic tarps, they probably can't afford to put any money in the sound board either. It obviously aggravated Sherri, who was acting as the front woman, and honestly it should have. When you work so hard on a concert and then the vocals don't work, that is unacceptable. At the same time I think she was just going to be unhappy anyway, as she made borderline rude comments throughout the concert directed at both the venue and the audience.  I think she meant to be funny, but instead the jokes fell flat.


I would definitely see them again if they happen to tour near me. I still love their sound - even when it's cutting out, even when some of them are short on sleep - and I hope that I do get to hear them live again.

No comments:

Post a Comment